Learning

Coin-Cell Safety


coincell

Facts

There are approximately 500 cases of Lithium Coin Cells being swallowed each year

  • 49% ingested batteries were removed from a device
  • 42% were left sitting loose or in the trash Only
  • 6% were removed from the battery and packaging

Hazards

  • The direct risk is tissue damage from battery corrosion reactions
  • Lithium coin cells can cause serious injury or death if swallowed
    • This can become serious if the swallowing goes unnoticed and the battery sits in the body for a period of time
    • When lithium cells are swallowed they can cause burning and damage to the esophagus

Prevention

  • It is important to keep lithium batteries out of reach of children to prevent ingestion
  • Keep coin cell batteries out of sight
  • Be aware of what devices in your home take lithium cell batteries and secure the battery compartments
  • Rayovac is working with the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) (www.nema.org) by:
    • Providing battery usage guides
    • Increasing consumer safety information
    • Working towards making batteries safer incase of accidental indigestion
    • Making information available to all followers of the Rayovac Facebook page

Treatment

  • Go to the emergency room before taking any actions of your own
  • Call poison control (202) 265-3333
  • Contact the National Capital Poison Center Hotline
    • www.poison.org
    • Rayovac is an active participant and supporter of this hotline